• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

X.com previews

AndyWolves

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any configuration change or maybe an update that needs to be done to allow x.com links to show in preview? Similar to how twitter.com links work?

Don't think there is.

Melon's site namechange is so shit and broken that x.com links don't even open in the X app on Android.

Not sure it’s a forum/Xenforo problem as much as a Twitter/X one. On Firefox, for example, the preview will show here, but only after clicking through on the link.

Tis weird.

And it seems to regularly bork so that if it shown as a preview rather than link it crashes the page on here on mobile.

It’s as if Elon was a child annoyed at his new toy and determined to break it

Not sure it’s a forum/Xenforo problem as much as a Twitter/X one. On Firefox, for example, the preview will show here, but only after clicking through on the link.

Tis weird.
I presume there is some kind of metadata that needs to be downloaded to generate the preview. I would have thought the only difference between twitter.com & x.com is the domain which made me think it might be something client side.

Unless twitter.com and x.com are served differently?

When you paste an X link just change the X to twitter and it works fine.

I presume there is some kind of metadata that needs to be downloaded to generate the preview. I would have thought the only difference between twitter.com & x.com is the domain which made me think it might be something client side.

Unless twitter.com and x.com are served differently?
They must be, which is wild.

It's just shit. Loads of functionality is diminished from 18 months ago.

As I say they haven't even matched up their own URLs with their own app. Let alone serving third party sites and allowing embeds.

Luckily I don't have any of these issues.

x.com links open in my Android Twitter app just fine, and my mobile browser doesn't get borked or crash when the links are posted.

Other than the x.com links not previewing in the forum, which is a forum embedding issue which needs activating on Xenforo's side, it's caused any issues for me.

After a fair bit of background fiddling I've now managed to get the app to recognise x.com links. Clunky as all hell to do though and crazy thinking from Phony Stark to not have it work by default. Almost as if he doesn't know what he's doing.

I tried the suggested method of changing 'X' to 'twitter' but it just came up with a broken link, so I have resorted to screenshotting whatever Twitter post I want to share and posting that instead.

I tried the suggested method of changing 'X' to 'twitter' but it just came up with a broken link, so I have resorted to screenshotting whatever Twitter post I want to share and posting that instead.
Are you sure it didn't add a space after the word twitter by mistake? That's happened to me a couple of times.

Back