• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-Wolf Watch

We played really well at Molineux but the finishing was crap. The narrative is that Shilton had a worldie, he didn't really. He made saves you'd expect any keeper to make, just quite a lot of them.

Their goal was annoying. One as McAteer blatantly shanked it and two as Stowell had a terrible habit for 2-3 years of being beaten easily from range.

I didn't go into the away leg with much faith at all, the chance had gone. Bolton were a better team than us in general, our defence had totally gone to shit at the end of that season and we were playing bloody Rankine in CM.
This is so true.

He was so regularly 3 yards off his line and then would jump 2 inches as it sailed over his head, then he'd look perplexed.

Even the Danny Dichio goal, whilst obviously bloody brilliant, and the second best goal i have seen, it probably should have been comfortably saved with better positioning.

Last edited:
In terms of how Peter Shilton was at the time he had a worldie.
He had been beyond shit for a couple of years..some great highlights out there of him making Lonergan look decent

The only game he ever played for Bolton if I recall correctly

The leaden (is that a word DW?) footedness Stowell showed around this time was very reminiscent of Shilton around 1990.

Still my favourite Wolves and England keepers though (I think)

N.B. Favourite not necessarily best

Also have songs unique to themselves and not generic “England’s No 1” chants.

“We’ve got Micky Micky Stowell in our goal, in our goal” is still sung most weeks in the North Bank by the pissed up bloke near me. “Tina, Tina, Tina “ was a regular for years

If we're going "favourite" Wolves keepers and people who were first choice for a fair period then:

Murray
Rui
Kendall
Hennessey (we'll ignore how he left and him not knowing what Nazis are)
Hahnemann
Stowell
Sa (he pisses me off, just a moron sometimes. But obviously pretty good)
Ruddy
Oakes
Ikeme
Postma
Jones

If it's ability then you'd swap a fair few around.

Kevin Foley joins the team at Brackley as head coach.

Brutal.

Also a bit daft, given Emerson Royal's sending off was a massive reason why Spurs lost the other day.

They're both properly crap.

He went through a spell last season of whenever they lost, he'd just drop whoever played at RWB and play the other one. Then repeat it when they next lost.

Doc against us at their place was seriously shocking, I don't think he got one thing right all afternoon.

Back