• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United - Bad day at the office (Verdict Thread)

So, is it a one or three game ban for Coady?

Batth - Miranda - Hause on Saturday?

On the way back from the game now and once Coady was sent off it was always going to be tough but we didn't have a plan on what to do until the second half when we actually gabe it a go until the missed penalty.

No problems with the red card and i think our penalty was an incredibly soft one. Seen a few say how bad Douglas was and while he may not have been great Doherty and Batth were far worse imo as they couldn't defend either.

Saiss the best player along with Miranda who was fouled by Clarke for the second but otherwise defended well and was calm on the ball. We need to improve on Saturday but i expect us to and if we have 23 points from 11 games no one should be moaning.

On the way back from the game now and once Coady was sent off it was always going to be tough but we didn't have a plan on what to do until the second half when we actually gabe it a go until the missed penalty.

No problems with the red card and i think our penalty was an incredibly soft one. Seen a few say how bad Douglas was and while he may not have been great Doherty and Batth were far worse imo as they couldn't defend either.

Saiss the best player along with Miranda who was fouled by Clarke for the second but otherwise defended well and was calm on the ball. We need to improve on Saturday but i expect us to and if we have 23 points from 11 games no one should be moaning.
Moaning, no, but flagging causes for concern I think is perfectly valid.

Moaning, no, but flagging causes for concern I think is perfectly valid.

Yeah i would agree with that but there is a clear difference. I think we need Hauae and Boly back desperately and i'm still ok with 3 at the back as tonight showed Doherty still can't defend when at RB and we don't have another full back. Couple of players need a rest too which they can hopefully get either on Saturday or during the international break.

I don't get the sub at all. What I thought he was doing was bringing Saiss on to go to CH, we'd keep three at the back and rather than have Leo supported by two inside forwards, we'd just have him up top and Jota playing pretty much as a #10. That makes sense to me.

But it appears we put Saiss into midfield and went 4-3-2? I can't imagine we've even practised that in drills. Really odd. You could understand it if the red card had led to a penalty or something and we were 1-0 down, but at 0-0...we may as well have shuffled it around and kept Costa on to give us more threat on the break. As it was we seemed to get massively overloaded because the full backs (now playing as conventional full backs) had no support and the midfield was way too narrow.

All this talk of players needing rest is fine, but remember that Wolves players had nearly 24 hours more rest than their opponents. Why cannot people just accept we were second best on the night.

In my opinion we have some incredibly talented footballers in our squad, but we have a manager with no plan B. Unless that is addressed we will achieve nothing this season.

Saiss went into Coady's position at the back for less than 5 mins, during which time we sat back and were overrun, he was then pushed further forward but we still sat back. It's a big question on Nuno as tactically we were destroyed for half an hour. That said fair play to Sheff Utd and Wilder, often teams that play against 10 men are quite passive or just try to knock the ball about, they went for the jugular and got their just desserts

I don't get the sub at all. What I thought he was doing was bringing Saiss on to go to CH, we'd keep three at the back and rather than have Leo supported by two inside forwards, we'd just have him up top and Jota playing pretty much as a #10. That makes sense to me.

But it appears we put Saiss into midfield and went 4-3-2? I can't imagine we've even practised that in drills. Really odd. You could understand it if the red card had led to a penalty or something and we were 1-0 down, but at 0-0...we may as well have shuffled it around and kept Costa on to give us more threat on the break. As it was we seemed to get massively overloaded because the full backs (now playing as conventional full backs) had no support and the midfield was way too narrow.

Exactly this. It was a car crash. Doherty was horrendously exposed often 2 on 1, with Bonatini occasionally dropping in to help, and then we had no one up there to keep the ball. Was horrific. They were playing wingbacks and we basically gave them the opportunity to load up in this area.

Saiss went into Coady's position at the back for less than 5 mins, during which time we sat back and were overrun, he was then pushed further forward but we still sat back. It's a big question on Nuno as tactically we were destroyed for half an hour.

I honestly didn't see this happen at all. Was straight to this 4-3-2 which meant our full backs were pegged back and we had no outball in possession. Complete shift from what the players are used to and no surprise they had no idea how to keep the ball either.

Still doesn't excuse woeful control and passing mind.

Exactly this. It was a car crash. Doherty was horrendously exposed often 2 on 1, with Bonatini occasionally dropping in to help, and then we had no one up there to keep the ball. Was horrific. They were playing wingbacks and we basically gave them the opportunity to load up in this area.

I honestly didn't see this happen at all. Was straight to this 4-3-2 which meant our full backs were pegged back and we had no outball in possession. Complete shift from what the players are used to and no surprise they had no idea how to keep the ball either.

Still doesn't excuse woeful control and passing mind.
For 3/4 minutes Saiss was the deepest outfield player on the pitch, now whether he was told to play there or as a holding mid I don't know. He did the same against Blackburn last year, so perhaps it was him rather than instruction. I thought in the second half he was probably our best player.

For 3/4 minutes Saiss was the deepest outfield player on the pitch, now whether he was told to play there or as a holding mid I don't know. He did the same against Blackburn last year, so perhaps it was him rather than instruction. I thought in the second half he was probably our best player.

Yeah definitely best player. Looked a class act. Him and Alfred for me on Saturday. But then god knows what we will do at the back.

Edit - one more thing though, if I see Saiss put it in the stands one more time in seriously gonna lose my shit. Out of any shot he's swung a leg at as he ever got it sitting 10 yards of the goal ?

All this talk of players needing rest is fine, but remember that Wolves players had nearly 24 hours more rest than their opponents. Why cannot people just accept we were second best on the night.

In my opinion we have some incredibly talented footballers in our squad, but we have a manager with no plan B. Unless that is addressed we will achieve nothing this season.

Having an extra days rest has nothing to do with it and no one has said we lost because some of our players are tired it's just an observation that Neves looks shattered so you can forgot making things up.

We were second best mainly because the red card and then our inability to adapt to that. We have a plan b, we used a different plan on Saturday and won the game through it so that's bullshit as well. We also have 20 points from 10 games, carry that on for the rest of the season and we will achieve promotion.

We didn't even go 4-3-2. I think that's what we were supposed to go but Jota didn't really come inside and then Bonatini ended up playing on the right so we ended up with no striker and no out ball at all. The goal was a matter of time and it wasn't until the second half when Nuno had talked to them that we sorted it. I'd probably say today was the first time Nuno got it wrong, firstly in the team selection with Neves who did look as tired as many had said before the game and then with his change of approach after the red card. He did half sort it and had Neves scored who knows what would have happened although i think Sheff Utd would have stepped it up again as they had it in them and would have taken charge.

Having watched the sending off GIF on repeat, how does Coady find him self in a position where the ball has travelled 30 yards on the floor and Clarke has managed to get ahead of him?

Annoyingly, on that angle I definitely wouldn't be putting money on Clarke putting that away.

Having watched the sending off GIF on repeat, how does Coady find him self in a position where the ball has travelled 30 yards on the floor and Clarke has managed to get ahead of him?

Annoyingly, on that angle I definitely wouldn't be putting money on Clarke putting that away.

From behind the goal I didn't think he'd tuck it away, he couldn't cut inside as Batth was heading that way and it was Leon's poorer foot. He couldn't go further right as the angle would be too poor for him and Ruddy was coming off his line.

I'm still fuming with Coady, though I think I'm more annoyed with no one attacking that ball at set pieces. It's too static and too easy to defend against. Something we should have remediate by now.

We didn't even go 4-3-2. I think that's what we were supposed to go but Jota didn't really come inside and then Bonatini ended up playing on the right so we ended up with no striker and no out ball at all. The goal was a matter of time and it wasn't until the second half when Nuno had talked to them that we sorted it. I'd probably say today was the first time Nuno got it wrong, firstly in the team selection with Neves who did look as tired as many had said before the game and then with his change of approach after the red card. He did half sort it and had Neves scored who knows what would have happened although i think Sheff Utd would have stepped it up again as they had it in them and would have taken charge.

Think people needed to see the intense pressure we were under after that sending off.
Nothing would stick for us and so Bonatini needed to drop back to help Doherty due to the constant doubling up on both flanks from United.
We couldnt really have Jota fannying around as a #10 at that part of the match though he didnt really get back and protect Douglas either.
Could have been 2 or 3 that first half.

I imagine Coady is more pissed off with himself than anyone else could be with him.

Having watched the highlights, I anticipate nuno will discipline coady for a fuckwits sending off.

Their first - Doherty is at fault for me. No way should that cross be allowed to be put in so easily.
Their second was a clear foul on miranda by clarke.

Back