• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 2-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

A good dominant start to the game but we ultimately fluffed our one big chance from 5 yards out when it was easier to score. Once they scored it was over as a contest as then they were we'll on top. Another game ruined by a small squad and injuries to all our three first choice attackers.

Hopefully once Cunha and then Hwang are back we can start picking up points again as we have some very winnable games in the run in.

Last edited:
I can't imagine there's ever been a team in PL history that has had to call on three teenagers up front when just two first team regulars and a bit-part player are out injured. The defeat is totally on the owners for leaving the squad so threadbare. I fear that by the end of the season a lot of people will be saying Lop has been proven correct.

RAN scores early and things change drastically. Despite all our kids, the gulf in class wasn’t massive.

The negatives are clear and probably aren’t changing. We do things tactically that still have me slightly questioning Gary’s long term suitability, but hard to draw too many conclusions with three teens getting serious minutes.

Roll on the next, all we can do.

I can't imagine there's ever been a team in PL history that has had to call on three teenagers up front when just two first team regulars and a bit-part player are out injured. The defeat is totally on the owners for leaving the squad so threadbare. I fear that by the end of the season a lot of people will be saying Lop has been proven correct.
WTF? We are fucking 10th in the league. Lop was and is an utter cunt.

Better team lost but at the same time only Doyle played well for us. Strange game.
They didn't. Villa scored on 36 minutes and controlled the game thereafter.

Other than that, familiar themes. We aren't clinical, when with our current options up front we have to be, we concede soft goals, despite playing with 3 centre halves and 2 holding midfielders we leave so much space for teams to utilise. 3 kids got on the pitch who shouldn't even make the matchday squad because of Fosun neglect.

The negatives are clear and probably aren’t changing. We do things tactically that still have me slightly questioning Gary’s long term suitability, but hard to draw too many conclusions with three teens getting serious minutes.
Not really sure what the fuck else he could have done today. We actually ventured forward more than I thought we would. Better to judge him when he has a full squad available. You'll never guess what, outside the top 3, we've had the best record since Christmas. Sure that could change in the last few games but the kids are now learning what it takes and they will be better for it and so will we. I'm confident that lessons will be learned from this and we should also be thankful we aren't facing a point deduction. O'Neil has done far better than any of us imagined he would.

WTF? We are fucking 10th in the league. Lop was and is an utter cunt
GO has worked wonders to get us into the conversation for Europe but I think that dream is well and truly dead - if it was ever alive. We're down to the bare bones and unless Cunha hits the ground running I think the rest of the season will be pretty grim compared to what's gone before. It's not a reflection on the players or GO, it's all on Shi.

Not really sure what the fuck else he could have done today. We actually ventured forward more than I thought we would. Better to judge him when he has a full squad available. You'll never guess what, outside the top 3, we've had the best record since Christmas. Sure that could change in the last few games but the kids are now learning what it takes and they will be better for it and so will we. I'm confident that lessons will be learned from this and we should also be thankful we aren't facing a point deduction. O'Neil has done far better than any of us imagined he would.
I didn’t ask for us to sack him tomorrow, mate.

@Tony Towner has nailed it, we ostensibly play five guys in our central block and yet we constantly leave the area completely vacated, which in turns exposes Kilman’s slow thinking, Santi’s slow body, and Toti’s slow feet.

I don’t think we’re far off being solid in that regard but it will take targeted tweaking and Gary hasn’t yet identified it. That’s a bit of a concern.

GO has worked wonders to get us into the conversation for Europe but I think that dream is well and truly dead - if it was ever alive. We're down to the bare bones and unless Cunha hits the ground running I think the rest of the season will be pretty grim compared to what's gone before. It's not a reflection on the players or GO, it's all on Shi.
We had two goals. Avoid breaching FFP and stay up. Mission achieved with plenty of games to go. I'm quite sure we will struggle over the last few games. C'est la vie.

It's also on Shi that we have got to teh Prem and stayed here this time. And it's also on Shi that Fosun have invested and spent money. Naturally, we still have some ungrateful sods who don't understand that today you can't keep on spending and that when you do spend, you are taking something of a gamble on every player you sign.

WTF? We are fucking 10th in the league. Lop was and is an utter cunt.
Yeah, I’ll give a different view on this if that’s OK. I like what GON has done and today, and the coming days, will be a damn tough ask with the cards he’s been dealt. I’m not having a guy who came in when we were nailed, fckin bolted, to the bottom of the league, called a cnt though. Too many people dismiss the fact we ended up staying up comfortably as a walk in the park. It’s not. Keep the clowns in charge that we had before and we’d be on here taking about a performance against Millwall today.

Yeah, I’ll give a different view on this if that’s OK. I like what GON has done and today, and the coming days, will be a damn tough ask with the cards he’s been dealt. I’m not having a guy who came in when we were nailed, fckin bolted, to the bottom of the league, called a cnt though. Too many people dismiss the fact we ended up staying up comfortably as a walk in the park. It’s not. Keep the clowns in charge that we had before and we’d be on here taking about a performance against Millwall today.
That's a fair point re: last season. However, he was a cunt to do what he did after the friendly against Celtic. I'll give him credit for staying on long enough to find GON though.

Back