• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Everton: Verdict Thread

I must confess. After six pre-match pints I did find myself waving a flag yesterday.

I imagine he's on a very good salary that he won't get elsewhere now.
He doesn't strike me as someone who wants to spend two years doing nothing, at the end of which absolutely no-one would sign him and he'd still only be 31.

According to LL Podence didn't do any of the after match stuff. There seems to be a fair amount of discontent within the squad, although not obviously involving anyone I'd be bothered about keeping. We need a clear out even if that involves doing sub optimal deals on getting rid of contracts

He doesn't strike me as someone who wants to spend two years doing nothing, at the end of which absolutely no-one would sign him and he'd still only be 31.
Me either, but he might want to fight for his place and be on that salary.

Podence was on the pitch for the awards.

Didn't look for him on the lap but he could have just been walking next to Sasa and Liam couldn't see him

He's third choice left back at best and doesn't seem to be any sort of choice at right back, this before we sign anyone. He hasn't played a single minute for two months, it'd be a pretty flimsy fight.

As the proud owner of a Wolves x Torino half and half I have to object to that.
Half-and-half's are great memorabilia, it only crawls into "ew" territory for me when people wear them to matches. That is odd.

I could see him going back to Vigo for a nominal fee.

I know a certain MLS side that could desperately use a better right-footed LB than Nathan fucking "just gonna single-handedly drop all 3 points for us" Byrne.

He's third choice left back at best and doesn't seem to be any sort of choice at right back, this before we sign anyone. He hasn't played a single minute for two months, it'd be a pretty flimsy fight.
I just think he'll be here next season.

If we got rid of all the players the fans expect/want to go, we'd have about 10 players left.

If we got rid of all the players the fans expect/want to go, we'd have about 10 players left.
Which wouldn't necessarily be unfair would it, we have had three shit seasons in a row. Clearly the squad isn't good enough.

If any of the below left:

Sa
Sarkic
Kilman
Collins
Ait-Nouri (given we don't use him)
Jonny
Sanderson
Giles
Coady
Hoever
Moutinho (because he's obviously off and it is time)
Neves (because I've made my peace with it for now, so long as we do the deal properly)
Hodge
Jordao
Kawabe
Adama
Hwang
Guedes
Podence
Corbeanu
Raul
Costa

Then that's fine, isn't it. There's no realistic case for keeping most of them. 22 senior players. Most of them are shit. We don't need to sign 22 in return as a good chunk of them contribute absolutely nothing as it stands.

They probably won't all go, but we aspire to be a top 10 club, Lopetegui hasn't come here to repeat this season forever. So they don't have much of a place here.

Last edited:

Having senior players around who week in week out can't even make the bench in the era of 20 man matchday squads isn't healthy for either party. We gave him a contract and have to honour it, but he'll only be here if money is by far and away his largest motivating factor. Wouldn't surprise me if we paid him to leave, giving him half of what he's due by subsidising his wages elsewhere.

And all I'm saying they won't all go, it's a ridiculous theory that they will.

That amount of churn happens very rarely, and when it does it usually makes things worse.

I explicitly said they won't all go!

Which of those 22 would you want to keep, presumably "just in case"? Not including Neves, and assuming we sign a first team keeper if Sa goes, and a first team centre half if one of Kilman/Collins goes.

Kilman and Collins aren’t both going. I’d be surprised if either left the club to be honest.

Kilman and Collins aren’t both going. I’d be surprised if either left the club to be honest.
You may well be right. I'm saying neither are top 10 centre halves or anywhere close, so if that's where we aspire to be, they don't actually belong here. I certainly wouldn't care if either or both left, they're both horrifically flawed in different ways.

Collins is probably going to be a fringe or loan option I'd imagine given we paid so much for him and he hasn't been any good at this level.

Back