• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Spurs: Verdict Thread

man, you talk more bollocks in half a sentence than Boris in three years.
please give it a rest. i don't write on here so much, but you just cannot stop the bollocks. have all the other threads banned you?
and are our mods asleep,
dump this twat and lets get on with banter!

To write crap like that you better not to...

That Doherty goal is a typical NES play. And a quality one actually he used it well even in Valencia. He actually should have played more times with Wolves formation when he was with Valencia. He had players to fit it well. I remember a game against Real that it did wonders.

I'm not a fundamentalist and I give credit where credit is due. And even though some teams should know better by now it's still a quality play and hard to defend.

In England he uses it from the beginning because even when using 3 midfielders, most teams uses 2 of them with attacking characteristics. Which leads NES to have a midfield advantage most of the time. And Raul is very good off the ball and a very intelligent player. The way he drags the defenders so the wingers can appear so easily unmarked is usually a 2 men job.

Whats your views on Nunos substitutions at all his clubs?

That was an interesting catch up.

He just switched off. If Nuno had told him to just occupy the space he was in, Vertonghan wouldn't have gone to the box but held back to mark Adama.
Once he went back towards the box, Vertonghen followed, so Adama should have been made aware that he was heading to the area.

Lack of communication by players, a simple shout and point would have solved that

Missed that yesterday, but that is a good point.

We never leave anyone up though, do we?

No, but more darlo’s point that Vertonghen followed a groggy Adama who didn’t pick him up. If Adama is more with it, up front or better still replaced by Neto we don’t concede.

No, but more darlo’s point that Vertonghen followed a groggy Adama who didn’t pick him up. If Adama is more with it, up front or better still replaced by Neto we don’t concede.

I know conventional wisdom is that you don't make a change when you're defending a set piece but we probably should have just done it. Not that Neto is an aerial powerhouse but he'd have occupied some space. It's not a Mings-esque ego trip, just a small mistake in a very exciting game where I can understand players and management getting a bit carried away.

I do think we should leave Adama up personally, he'd occupy two defenders minimum. But then I'm not going to argue too much with our manager, even if he is nae Marco Silva.

I know conventional wisdom is that you don't make a change when you're defending a set piece but we probably should have just done it. Not that Neto is an aerial powerhouse but he'd have occupied some space. It's not a Mings-esque ego trip, just a small mistake in a very exciting game where I can understand players and management getting a bit carried away.

I do think we should leave Adama up personally, he'd occupy two defenders minimum. But then I'm not going to argue too much with our manager, even if he is nae Marco Silva.

He wouldn’t even need to be that high up the pitch, could easily be midway in our half and still have two on him. Ball over the top, as Ruddy did for Jota back in the champ, and he’s in on goal.

Agree with most comments. Not too upset that we lost because we were mostly amazing against a top 4 team. It is frustrating that so many opposing defenders get booked for fouling Adama and the beneficiaries are the teams our opponents play a couple of months later. It seems that most of these bookings occur late on in the game but that is probably true of all bookings and there is no easy way to force defenders to foul him in the 1st 15 mins rather than the last 15 mins.

3 other observations:

If only Adama could think as quickly as he runs. Several times he has seemed slow to react to a loose ball which has gifted possession to the other team. Not just yesterday.

If we consistently play this well, it is only a matter of time before a big club does come in for Nuno.

We may have one of the best defensive records in the league but further success will be elusive unless we concede even fewer, and we currently do not keep enough clean sheets. We don't want good defenders, we want the best. Even with a fit again Boly, we should look to improve on both Dendoncker and Coady.

Sorry. Still pissed off no one was on the post even if its the current wolves way

We did away at Southampton last season. Sadly this was also the time when Adama would often drift into Adamaland and forget there was a game going on around him, we half-cleared it, it got knocked back in, he was playing everyone onside and they scored.

He had one in the first half yesterday, Moutinho gave him a right bollocking as he'd totally switched off when we had a free kick out wide and he was supposed to be offering the short option.

Thankfully he does largely pay more attention now.

We did away at Southampton last season. Sadly this was also the time when Adama would often drift into Adamaland and forget there was a game going on around him, we half-cleared it, it got knocked back in, he was playing everyone onside and they scored.

He had one in the first half yesterday, Moutinho gave him a right bollocking as he'd totally switched off when we had a free kick out wide and he was supposed to be offering the short option.

You say that, but he totally lacked the awareness to recognise Vertonghan was totally unmarked and he ran in with him.

Firstly Adama was away with the fairies at that time. If not concussed then not really engaged. Secondly it's the issue with zonal marking, someone doesn't do their job then it looks awful. Thirdly, if you mark zonaly then you don't put men on the posts because theoretically you've covered all options in the box.

Yep - no one even mentions zonal marking when it works. It's only because that space was left empty that it looks so bad - and I can only assume it was where Adama should have been standing. It also seems like he overruled the bench by staying on when Neto was ready to come on. It's a shame and it's the fine margins we're working within at this level.

Which is why I would imagine when a he's having a blistering game and insisting on staying on after a bad shoulder jolt, behaviour you'd normally applaud, they let him. Not sure that mistake will ever be made again, not just with Adama. Nuno isn't Fergie in his tenth season, there are still lessons to be learned, some of which will be in the spotlight. He doesn't make many and I don't think he personally repeats them. Maybe that's why this doesn't feel like losses under previous Mangers in these circumstances.

Am I the only one to spot the irony of eriksen setting up Vertonghen to score lols

Back