• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 0 Aston Villa: May we never take this nosebleed for granted.

Only downer for me was getting to Civic car park to get my bike to find it had closed at 8pm and all the shutters and gates were locked shut! My next bus was 40 minutes so I thought I would head back to Boho for a last beer, but they wouldn't let me back in cause I was wearing a Wolves top and trainers! Arsehole bouncers!
35 minute walk home for me then.

First time this season that I've seen anything more than highlights, and what a treat it was. 35 years of supporting Wolves through some pretty appalling teams, some successful teams and some exciting teams, but the thing that sets this team apart from the rest is the pure quality of players. This is without a doubt the best Wolves team I have seen from back to front. And the way they play is ready made for Premier League football. In the past when we have been promoted it has been with a style of football that was never suited to playing at the highest level: long ball, hitting the channels, wingers and running around a lot is not enough. What this team has is a quality and style of play that IF we are promoted will adapt easily to the top level. And so will many of these players: Jota, Neves, Cavaleiro, Saiss, Costa, Bonatini, Coady (yes, Coady), on yesterday's showing Miranda and Batth are all capable of playing in the Premier League. If that level of performance becomes the norm we should win this division at a stroll. Finding the consistency is key from now on.

Only downer for me was getting to Civic car park to get my bike to find it had closed at 8pm and all the shutters and gates were locked shut! My next bus was 40 minutes so I thought I would head back to Boho for a last beer, but they wouldn't let me back in cause I was wearing a Wolves top and trainers! Arsehole bouncers!
35 minute walk home for me then.

You should have got message to one of us and we would have left the Boho mate

You should have got message to one of us and we would have left the Boho mate

It was fine mate, I only needed to kill time before my next bus. I was happy enough to tell the bouncers they were being "totally unreasonable" and made my exit. I bet they felt sour all night :icon_lol:

I thought the atmosphere yesterday was superb. I was in NL6 and it was bouncing in there. It really does feel like we’re on the cusp of something special.

Lets not get that carried away..

:icon_mrgreen: I know, I did have to check that I hadn't been possessed when I wrote that! But in my defence I did stipulate 'based on yesterday's performance', and yesterday Batth was outstanding, against Kodjia who is one of the best forwards in this division not named Jota...

I shouted to Danny 'UNBLOCK ME ON TWITTER'. Dont think he heard me :-(

I thought the atmosphere yesterday was superb. I was in NL6 and it was bouncing in there. It really does feel like we’re on the cusp of something special.

I nearly fell down the stairs and snapped my ankle celebrating Leo's goal... North Bank was pumping for the first time in ages. I do miss The Southbank but my legs are shagged now cant stand for 90 minutes anymore.

I nearly fell down the stairs and snapped my ankle celebrating Leo's goal... North Bank was pumping for the first time in ages. I do miss The Southbank but my legs are shagged now cant stand for 90 minutes anymore.

We were next to the Villa fans and stood for the 90 mins. It appeared that the majority of people around me had made good use of the extra drinking time the late kick off afforded.

Needless to say Molineux was rocking and its great to see us Wulfs with a smile on our faces in games. Long may it continue.

It's bonkers to think we haven't really missed Boly or Costa

I'm actually quite jealous of you lot down the Midlands. You've had a week of your Veela mates telling you how they were going to deal with us and you now have the chance to walk into work tomorrow, a smile beaming from ear to ear and take the plaudits... Enjoy

I still think villa have a good championship side, but the players they've bought have been exactly that. Good at Championship level, if they got promoted how many could play at a premier league level?

Fair play. My legs are OK I just hate standing all game!

One Villa fan didn’t turn up at work today and he religiously works Sundays for double time. He’ll have it tomorrow tenfold now :icon_lol:

Oh also, thought the ref had a good game. Dohertys fall wasn't a pen, and aside from an off the ball collision when we were breaking that I didn't see well, I thought he got almost everything right.

edit - was also quite impressed with o'hare for villa when he came on.

Sorry LJ, I thought the referee was average at best. As that Telegraph report said, there were times when he lost control, not just tackles made by Villa, but a couple by us esp. by Doherty.

We should have been awarded a penalty when Costa was kicked in the face, which he was looking straight at, and he missed a stamp on the back of Jota's leg, and how Hutton wasn't awarded a yellow during the game only the ref knows.

Don't get me wrong, Hutton made some great tackles esp. the one to stop Costa, but his mis-treatment of Cav. was unrelenting.
Then there was the occasion when he pulled us back 20yds from an attacking position to give us a free-kick.

So I would describe his performance as only average, better than many we have had, but still only average, IMO.

The assistant ref on the Billy Wright stand was clearly blind. At least 3 times the ball clearly went out of play and he missed it. 2 of them were in our favour, so cheers to him....

Back