• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford 0-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
A draw probably a fair result with plenty of chances for both sides. A decent game of football played at quite a fast pace and tempo.

The ref tried to spoil it (sorry Frank) by letting obvious fouls go. Let the game flow yes but protect the players first and foremost.

A decent point overall but either team could have snatched all three. Especially right at the end with our 3v1 breakaway.

Fire away people.

Last edited:
Yes agree about the result. Thought Cav played well.

Poor game. Poor atmosphere.

Meh.

10 points out of 15 is good.

Sounds like a very decent game. And we are still on the two points per game threshold so pretty happy with our start.

Average game with neither team dominating. Few good chances but either team could have nicked it, Wolves maybe shaved it at best.

0-0 a fair result.

Jota motm.

I enjoyed that and a draw is fair on the balance of it.

People need to remember that this team isn't going to be the finished article for a while yet and talk of 'changing systems', as seen on the match thread, is extremely premature. Nuno has repeatedly said he wants this club to have an identity and that includes a possession-based system to suit the talented players that we have. It's one that's yielded ten points from our first five games, after all. Promotion form.

The standout players for me were Vinagre, a gifted attacking full-back with incredibly impressive maturity for his 18 years, and Jota, once again our most menacing attacking threat - although he was guilty of wastefulness at times.

I'd like to see Cavaleiro start the next game. He looked much sharper than Bright when he came on, although I think Bright had picked up a knock.

Just look at the talent we have now to last season. It doesn't compare. We'll be up there.

Sounds like a very decent game. And we are still on the two points per game threshold so pretty happy with our start.

It was poor for the neutral really. Neither side were brilliant. The two Jota's were the only players who looked to do anything special.

People need to understand that there is no chance of us switching from 3-4-3

Not the boring 0-0 you might think, end to end stuff and Brentford looked a good side. They stopped us playing through the middle to a certain degree so we played wider, which worked well on the left but our right needs addressing. Both sides missed really good chances but Brentford had more clear cut chances than us whilst I think we shaded things in terms game control.

Ruddy 7 - 1 very important save in the first, kicking was at times dodgy but commanded his area and looked fine.
Vinagre 7 - A very exciting young talent, picking up where he left off at Southampton. His passing, dribbing & movement is excellent and linked well with Jota. We did miss Douglas's delivery from set pieces today (which were dreadful from various for us)#
Boly 7 - A couple of shakey moments in the first half but he is a machine, at one point losing the ball but running back and taking it with ease. I love him.
Coady 6 - Tidy enough and mopped up well not as noticeable but certainly did little wrong.
Miranda 6 - Did fine for most of the game, guilty of not releasing the ball on the break right at the death. Still a solid enough game from him.
Doc 5 - Just looks knackered all the time, offered very little going forward. When you compare to the other side with either Vinagre or Douglas you realise he just isn't up to scratch.
Saiss 5 - A few too many sloppy passes for me, did some good but gave the ball away too often for my liking, Brentford had put more men to stop our midfield and it worked.
Neves 6 - Dealt with the pressure in midfield better than Saiss but was quiet and not as heavily involved as normal. came off for Price towards the end, no complaints from me on that decision.
Jota 8 MOTM - Wonderful to watch with the ball at his feet, skinned Brentford players time after time. Should have scored when 1 on 1 with the keeper, cant wait till we have Costa on the other side.
Bonatini 7 - Difficult one this, his link up play is great and he played well but he is often far too deep. Didn't register a shot on goal from memory but still a better option than Dicko. If we play Bonatini we need our IF's to have their shooting boots on!
Bright 5 - Started ok but didn't get involved enough, took a kick and rightly went off later on. He will have better games than this.

Subs,

Cav 7 - Looked lively when he came on and with Jota switching to the right we finally had some balance. Sometimes guilty of poor decision making but he now starts in place of Bright for me till the return of Costa.
Price N/A - Came on for Neves late on didnt really do anything.
Dicko N/A - Ran around a bit as we sat deep and tried to counter towards the end, nothing of note from Dicko.

I don't want to moan about refs all the time but towards the end there was fouls all over the place he was letting go, luckily it didn't cost us today.

Overall I am happy with a point, Brentford will be nowhere near the bottom by Christmas based on today's performance.

Sounds like it was pretty open, and either could have snatched it.

Still a good start, but it's still pretty clear that we're not the quite the full package yet. I'd like to see another striker or two and a short-term Doherty replacement for us to really kick on. It feels kind of like we've already been figured out after the first three matches, and a raw goal-scoring talent (which Bonatini, regardless of his strong points, doesn't look like) might help mitigate that a little.

Frustrated to come away with a draw, but we easily could have lost.

Bright has fairly kept his place until now but was anonymous first half. I don't think there can be any arguments that it's Cav's berth now. Far more dangerous with him on the pitch.

Little bit worried about the lack of cutting edge, but let's see what business we do this week.

I said in the match thread that I don't think 3-4-3 works for us.

It's so reliant on the wingbacks providing the width plus were vulnerable down the flanks on counter attacks.

Our centre mid is easily nullified as most teams have 3 in there so Neves and Saiss get no time or space (not helped by Saiss being shit today).

We played our way into trouble numerous times and caused our own issues. Have teams worked out how to play against us?

We need to be a bit sharper / clever, there were a few times we cocked up simple things and put ourselves under pressure. Set pieces were bad too

That being said Jota, and later Cav, were very involved and occupies that gap between FB and CB but they need the wingback overlapping them to create space, vinagre did it well but not so much Doc which made it all a bit congested.

Mention to Coady too, I thought he did well. Bonatini looked so isolated

I'm disappointed we haven't beaten brentford, but their league position probably isn't accurate.

Championship crazy this year. Boro, Sheff Wed, Derby, Norwich, Villa Sunderland, all teams you'd expect to be up there haven't won today and haven't had great stars either.

No one would expect Ipswich to be up there, but apparently comprehensively beaten today, but Cardiff won comfortably again.

Again it is clear we need a goalscorer. I cannot quite understand why our limitations in front of goal has not been addressed.

I said in the match thread that I don't think 3-4-3 works for us.

It's so reliant on the wingbacks providing the width plus were vulnerable down the flanks on counter attacks.

Our centre mid is easily nullified as most teams have 3 in there so Neves and Saiss get no time or space (not helped by Saiss being shit today).

We played our way into trouble numerous times and caused our own issues. Have teams worked out how to play against us?

We need to be a bit sharper / clever, there were a few times we cocked up simple things and put ourselves under pressure. Set pieces were bad too

That being said Jota, and later Cav, were very involved and occupies that gap between FB and CB but they need the wingback overlapping them to create space, vinagre did it well but not so much Doc which made it all a bit congested.

Mention to Coady too, I thought he did well. Bonatini looked so isolated

You did mention it. And it will work for us. Because we will get players in to match the system. Doherty is the weak link.

Agree with Paddy here we were very lop sided thanks to Doc, he will be replaced in time and rightly so, it also didn't help that Bright wasn't quite at the races today.

People need to understand that there is no chance of us switching from 3-4-3
There was no chance of Lambert dropping Edwards either but it didn't stop people discussing it.

I think it's a valid point, I'm far from convinced this is the best system for us.

Not as the manager wants the whole squad playing that way. Bin off Doherty.

So in summary, it was a poor game with no atmosphere, end to end decent play and chances for both reams to win it.........gotta love a verdict thread lol

Back