• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The TWF Horse Racing Thread

damn it, won just £100 in the horses instead of £350, as i took away a few horses to lower the cost from £40 to £20..

Fantastic horse that came about at the right time but i can't help but get annoyed at the claim that he's the greatest ever, it should just be that he's one of the greatest and that's that.

He's up there. Can't understand his 160 rating, seeing as Dancing Brave was rated at 162 and that horse lost a couple of races (I think)

Shergar maybe would have been better had he lived.

Best performance I ever saw was Generous in the Derby, slightly coloured by the fact I had £100 on it!

He's up there. Can't understand his 160 rating, seeing as Dancing Brave was rated at 162 and that horse lost a couple of races (I think)

Shergar maybe would have been better had he lived.

Best performance I ever saw was Generous in the Derby, slightly coloured by the fact I had £100 on it!

Oh yes he's definitely up there but i think it's impossible to say he's the greatest ever as many have said. Only 3 years ago Sea The Stars won the 2000 Guineas, the derby and the arc all within one season as he won six group 1s in 6 months and while i think Frankel would have beaten him over a mile and maybe even 1m 2f i don't think he would have over the derby and arc trips of 1m 4f.

Dancing Brave was beaten most famously in the derby when despite obviously being the best horse he was too far back when it came to the business end and just couldn't catch Shahrastani. The ratings are done by what horses they beat and by how far and so on thus why Dancing Brave has the higher rating for his win in the arc as he beat multiple champions. Khalid Abdulla is one lucky bloke to have owned the 2 highest rated horses in flat racing history.

i had money on shahrastani and was disappointed to have taken it to be honest. Dancing Brave was a great great horse.

Surely one of the greatest Arcs against a strong field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctctzyl-0d8

Best Derby for me was Lammtarra's. Just freeze it at 2 furlongs out and tell me there's any chance you'd have picked him to win. A very strong field, I think the fastest recorded derby at the time. From the Gods!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ew19owcSN4

Generous destroyed the field, Shergar style. Only ever one winner. I was very impressed, but like I say £100 on at 9-1 does help!

very nice indeed. as a student i had a tenner on Kahyasi at 11-1. I enjoyed that evening. Never won anything like £900 though.

Girl at my halls of residence had ridden out for Nigel Twiston-Davies on many occasions. She went to visit him with her parents about a fortnight before the race, and came back telling us to put every penny we had on the horse. On Derby day, fifty students went out doing a circuit of the bookies in Leicester all putting the remainder of our grants and loans on Generous. We all won very handily and it was one HELL of a party in that hall after the race.

Made me a few quid has Kauto, the latest was last boxing day. Great Horse.

I also lost a Gold Cup winning ticket at Cheltenham, but fortunately I put the bet on, on the Tote, and they will send you the money if no one claims it within 6 months.

Very impressive chasing debut from Overturn. Cue Card was magnificent in the week too.

Very impressive chasing debut from Overturn. Cue Card was magnificent in the week too.

Yes Nando very impressive from Overturn and Cue Card was outstanding at Exeter. Thought Zarkandar was excellent too earlier winning when giving 17lbs away to the second.

Flemenstar wins very nicely too.

Frankie Dettori failed a drugs test at Longchamp on Sept 19th and will face an inquiry next week.

Frankie Dettori failed a drugs test at Longchamp on Sept 19th and will face an inquiry next week.

I know little or nothing about horse racing, but I would not think that drug taking is a problem in the sport, or is it?

I imagine you can keep your weight down by taking diuretics, which are banned in most sports.

I know little or nothing about horse racing, but I would not think that drug taking is a problem in the sport, or is it?

Not massively Frank, there are very few positive tests and the last big one was Kieren Fallon i think although there have been a few occasions where jockeys have been stood down for a day or 2 after failing a breath test before racing. This is massive news though that will not only intrigue the people within racing as Frankie is a celebrity and probably the most known jockey in the world. I'm very interested to see what the banned substance was and his reasoning behind the failed test.

First big race of the jumps calendar today at Cheltenham. Grands Crus looks set to go off as a 2/1 favourite for the Paddy Power Gold Cup.

Impressive chasing debut yesterday from another David Pipe grey, with Dynaste toppling the favourite, Fingal Bay.

Al Ferof wins nicely at a bargainous 8/1.

First big race of the jumps calendar today at Cheltenham. Grands Crus looks set to go off as a 2/1 favourite for the Paddy Power Gold Cup.

Impressive chasing debut yesterday from another David Pipe grey, with Dynaste toppling the favourite, Fingal Bay.

Another 2 winners for Pipe this afternoon

Four winners apiece for Pipe and Nicholls.

Back