• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Preston 0 - Wolves 0 verdict thread

Parkins left foot

'Quirk's Gay Game Winner'
Reaction score
Lambert made sure that we were solid enough not to lose, but not enough to win a game

Probably all he could do given the time he has been here

Next phase is to get something in the opposition half

Small steps, now needs to make bigger ones

Hard to get enthused about a 0-0 against moderate opposition, especially given what we all hoped for in August/September.

I understand him setting the team up to be solid first and foremost given how awful we have been at the back lately. It's ok as a very short term measure, so long as he doesn't act like Saunders and treat that kind of approach and result as if he's masterminded winning the World Cup then I can deal with it for now. We need wins very soon though, muddling along at a point a game isn't going to get us anywhere other than miring us in a relegation scrap.

Hard to get enthused about a 0-0 against moderate opposition, especially given what we all hoped for in August/September.

I understand him setting the team up to be solid first and foremost given how awful we have been at the back lately. It's ok as a very short term measure, so long as he doesn't act like Saunders and treat that kind of approach and result as if he's masterminded winning the World Cup then I can deal with it for now. We need wins very soon though, muddling along at a point a game isn't going to get us anywhere other than miring us in a relegation scrap.

I agree with all of this only that we are in a relegation scrap, we are currently 2pts above Blackburn.

This. Seems to have prioritised a clean sheet, which is all well and good. We are looking towards next season, but need to have an eye over our shoulders on this. We won't go down under Lambert though

I agree with all of this only that we are in a relegation scrap, we are currently 2pts above Blackburn.

Oh yeah, but at this stage it wouldn't take much to pull us out of it. A couple of wins. If he were to carry on for any length of time with the mindset that low scoring draws are about as good as we can do then we'd be anchored in it.

Fortunately I don't think he will go that way.

I had this as a point from early season predictor so not upset. Left side looks a bit dodgy, nothing new there.

Uninspiring but what was required. I'm not sure if it was a better defensive display or just a reflection on the opposition. Would a more accomplished attacking side done better against us?

A performance Kenny would have been proud of, I expect more of these until we sign a few better players in January.

Back line is still prone to a rickett - Hause slip in the last minute almost let them in

But still sounded a more solid performance over the 90 without any real excitement up front

A conundrum for Lambert to resolve

One of those matches when there is no way I can pick a 'man of the match' for Wolves - all of them got to about 6 out of 10 then went no further

Lucky to get a point after PNE fluffed the only clear chance of the game at the end.

So boring. Wallace was abysmal when he came on. Dreadful set up and crap subs from Lambert. Shades of Blackburn 1-1 under Saunders.

Lucky to get a point after PNE fluffed the only clear chance of the game at the end.

So boring. Wallace was abysmal when he came on. Dreadful set up and crap subs from Lambert. Shades of Blackburn 1-1 under Saunders.

Was it 4-2-3-1 all through the game or did he change to the diamond when he brought Dicko on?

Was it 4-2-3-1 all through the game or did he change to the diamond when he brought Dicko on?

It was a shapeless Zenga-esque throw attackers on and hope for the best formation.

6/10 is generous Peter.

Can only go from the Wolves player commentary - which is biased towards Wolves

Should have said that all were at the same level without anyone standing out (you can award your own point score after that)

Can only go from the Wolves player commentary - which is biased towards Wolves

Should have said that all were at the same level without anyone standing out (you can award your own point score after that)

4/10 with Price and Bod pushing 5 if they're lucky. Saville a 3, Wallace 1. PNE players all similar apart from their number 4 who was busy without creating much.

Ultimately we're lining up today with Lonergan, Doherty, Coady and Saville in the starting line up, none of whom are remotely good enough for a top six team in this league, then there are question marks to a differing extent over Batth, Hause, Price and Bright, and as much as we like Bod he hasn't scored for three months now. It's virtually the entire team where you're thinking either we definitely can do better there or we could probably find an upgrade if we wanted. Ikeme and Edwards didn't play today but both of them are short of the quality needed as well.

It just underlines how much work needs to be done over the next two windows, well that and Lambert managing to get more out of CBJ, Saiss, Cav and Dicko too.

There is still very much Edwards the Assistant weighing in on team selection in this match. First golden rule: don't play players out of position. Saville gets the unwanted accolade.

Price and Bright deserved their starts, and need to be retained for the next few matches to build up their niche with the rest of the team. Let's face it, the 4-2-3-1 is there to protect the rikkety defence, and save for a couple of abborations, from the defensive line rather than those in front of them, it worked well enough.

Dave Edwards available for the next match? Oh well, he'll probably take the place of either Bright or Price. Booo.

Batth out for the next game. Now we are actually going to see whether his presence has been toxic for the team or he's actually one of the better options we currently have at the club, for better or for worse.

Iorfa back to being okay, Doherty again poor defensively?

Wasn't sure from the radio commentary what sort of game Coady actually had. And the introduction of Wallace seemed to have been a sterile non-event.

No doubt we need a new striker in January. Dicko and Bod still firing blanks, but that being said the attacking came to life when Dicko and Cav came on, so they both need to start next game.

Best I can say is that at least we weren't punished by conceding at the end.

Saiss will be back for Price before Edwards is. Edwards will come in for Bright. Joy.

Back