• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

QPR 2 - 1 Wolves: verdict thread

Right, said i would do a whole review when i got back so here goes. Lets start with the fact that we don't need to change what we do and we don't need a big man or anything like that. What we can't have though is 8 or 9 players off form in the same game which is basically what happened today. Even with that we still created enough to win the game and lost to a very good header imo. On to the players performance:-

Ruddy - Kicking was poor in the warm up and this carried on in to the game bar a couple of kicks. Should have collected the ball when Washington got in for the opener and will be disappointed just like he will be for when he dropped a routine ball in to the box at Washington's feet but Coady and Batth rescued him. Norris is breathing down his neck on this performance.

Batth - Was fine in the first half but really struggled in the second. Got caught out of position lots and was bullied by players he shouldn't be getting bullied by.

Coady - Clearance off the line apart another that wasn't on it, didn't get on the ball enough and wasn't able to play his passes out due to the tightness of the pitch. Struggled physically at times and it might be the case that we look to play 3 proper centre halves in games like this as we won't miss out on a lot on the ball if the right 3 play.

Miranda - Again was the better of the back 3 for the majority of the game but he really struggled with Smith. Dominated against Sylla who didn't cause him any problems but Smith did and it wasn't physically he was just on it and better in the air. Was close to him but got beat by the bigger lad and a good quality header.

Doherty - Not on it like many others. Didn't get forward well enough, poor on the ball and never really looked a threat. Got caught out a few times second half too. We need someone else to play this role effectively so it's not just one man.

Douglas - Got absolutely battered in the first half by a fist to the face and some questionable challenges but just seemed to accept it and it carried on. Again another that failed to really impose himself on the game but delivered one great cross second half that missed everyone. Had a chance in the first half but scuffed it past Smithies with his right foot and it was easily cleared

Neves - Another not on it, bottled a couple of challenges and just didn't move the ball quick enough. Personally would have taken him off and put Alfred on at 1-1.

Saiss - Like Neves he wasn't really on it and they were both at fault for the opener trying to over play. I will say he was the better of the 2 because he was involved in some of our better moments like the ball to Douglas for his chance and the ball that lead to the Jota, Bonatini link up but apart from those there wasn't much between them.

Cavaleiro - As bad as he has been for a while. Had lots of room to exploit in the first half but just didn't run at his man and insisted on crossing it straight into him time after time. Then had a great chance in the second half but didn't take the shot on and then dived to try and win a penalty which the ref rightly turned down imo.

Jota - The man is outstanding. His run for the goal was something else and he set up Bonatini with a super bit of play that should have been finished off. Also had a great chance that he hit straight at Smithies. We need to keep him fit and firing and hope others join him in those consistent high levels.

Bonatini - The only other player apart from Jota that can say he was on it. Held it up well, worked hard again and took his goal well. Should have scored a second but the ball just seemed to get a bit high on him and under pressure poked it over. Will get the 20 goals many thought he wouldn't if he carries on like this with ease.

SUBS

Costa - Someone had to come no for Cav but Costa had no impact on the game. Had one chance to drive at them and did so but then played his pass straight at the centre half when the ball to Jota was pretty easy. Struggling at the moment with confidence and needs to get it back somehow but Nuno has work to do.

Bright - I thought he did quite well when he came on. Had a great chance but tried to play Jota in when shooting was the much better option but did then set him up for his second half chance. Couple of times he beat 3 or 4 men but was either rugby tackled or crudely blocked. If he was more confident in front of goal he could be the alternative to Leo.

Marshall - No idea why he's still making the bench never mind coming on as a sub. Alfred was the better option and Ronan should definitely be in the squad ahead of him. Made zero impact apart from playing an awful pass to Bright who had taken a throw from the corner flag and so was obviously offside.

We weren't dreadful today but we weren't very good and that wasn't helped by QPR in either half. They were so bad in the first half it was impossible to play football with the ball in the air for 80% of the time and then in the second they actually played some good stuff, closed us down and looked a real threat. We won't play this bad very often but we will have these games. I don't think we need to change how we play although we could change certain personnel and maybe alter the formation at times to get more width which was badly needed on such a tight pitch. I trust Nuno to get it right and we are still learning and adapting and even with the majority of the side off form we still could have won had we taken the chances we had at 1-1.

Sorry, you lot told me to look at recent games! Now who ius cherry picking. Played 8 lost 5. Move on.

I didn't tell you to do anything, other than to stop believing in witchcraft and if you are going to believe in such bollocks, actually look at the facts.

It's all gone quiet over there...

Has it fuck! In the last 16 games v QPR and Norwich we have won 4. That's right 4. In that time we have won this league and Norwich have been relegated. QPR have been promoted too but the records are not great and I don't know why.

I didn't tell you to do anything, other than to stop believing in witchcraft and if you are going to believe in such bollocks, actually look at the facts.

I don't. I never have . I have no idea why we play shit more often than not v QPR in recent times. I have no idea why Norwich have some sort of Indian sign on us in recent times. But they do so I get nervous when we play them and am chuffed to fuck to take points off them. It doesn't happen as much as it should IMO. No magic, no mumbo jumbo, we just don't do well v them period.

Our record at Loftus Road is fine. For over a decade. What is so hard to understand?

But our recent record v Norwich sucks so I will be a little apprehensive until we have 3 points in the bag and repeat it for a few seasons.

I don't have the energy to carry on with this discussion for much longer. Because it's all based on nothing.

But Fulham haven't beaten us at Molineux since April 1985 (we've played them at home 13 times since then) so I take it you will be strolling into Friday's game with immense confidence, irrespective of the respective strength of both teams, as we are bound to win? And Fulham may as well not turn up, they aren't going to win?

Whatever

It's like trying to talk to my father in law.

Stop being so obstinate. Its unbecoming. Accept that for whatever reason wolves fuck up against certain sides and QPR Norwich Bolton arsenal and Huddersfield are among them. Go on admit it. Its good for the soul! Feel the purge pad lol!

I don't have the energy to carry on with this discussion for much longer. Because it's all based on nothing.

But Fulham haven't beaten us at Molineux since April 1985 (we've played them at home 13 times since then) so I take it you will be strolling into Friday's game with immense confidence, irrespective of the respective strength of both teams, as we are bound to win? And Fulham may as well not turn up, they aren't going to win?

Yep! 2 nil to us

QPR aren't one

You carry on though. I am sure you are having loads of fun battering against logic.

I may have to check your internet connection to make sure you aren't my father in law, It's scary.

QPR aren't one

You carry on though. I am sure you are having loads of fun battering against logic.

I may have to check your internet connection to make sure you aren't my father in law, It's scary.

OK. You be over confident and think we will piss the league. I will use my 45 years of following wolves to know that for whatever fucked up reason, we lose to certain teams no matter how shit they are! Just to remind you Wigan, Bolton, QPR and Birmingham on our own patch, Norwich, Ipswich under Mick , Huddersfield are all teams that many wolves fans are quite justified to be a little nervous of playing given recent results.

Popcorn please lol x

While I disagree with Cyber, why are people lining up to have a go at him?

He is entitled to his point of view.

Believe me that chaos among fans when a defeat happens is a good sign. Means they are not that often.

Benfica forum starts a civil war every time we don't win...

Had the chance to watch the game today. Seems to me the team entered the match to anxious trying to play too fast. Got better with time but it repeated on the last 15-10 minutes.

Mental strength is a NES weakness. Let's hope the team works on it.

Very surprised how fast the players absorbed this formation.

OK. You be over confident and think we will piss the league. I will use my 45 years of following wolves to know that for whatever fucked up reason, we lose to certain teams no matter how shit they are! Just to remind you Wigan, Bolton, QPR and Birmingham on our own patch, Norwich, Ipswich under Mick , Huddersfield are all teams that many wolves fans are quite justified to be a little nervous of playing given recent results.

But it isn't necessarily blind "we play shit against X, Y and Z"

We've been 'shit' against Wigan during the most successful era of their club. Sustained Premier League football, FA Cup winners.

Ipswich under Mick coincided with us going down to League One and being at our worst in a generation?

In the last decade Norwich have had 4 seasons in the Premier and finished 2nd and 3rd in the Championship, it stands to reason they'd win against us considering during the same period we've finished 14th and 15th?

I'd say our record against many sides in 3 of our last 4 years has been average because it's exactly what we've been as well as relegation fodder. Other clubs there is a lot more context than just saying its a hoodoo.

Then there are Middlesbrough and Huddersfield.

Historical records against teams mean nothing. I highly doubt Neves, Jota, Bonatini, Miranda, Cavaleiro etc woke this morning thinking "probably going to lose today as Wolves have a poor record against QPR, regardless of personnel"

We lost because we didn't play overly well (haven't seen the game so going off reports) we didn't lose because of a curse or hoodoo. We will lose games this season, I think everybody knows this, but it won't be down to hoodoos or bogey clubs

Mental strength is a NES weakness. Let's hope the team works on it.

Can't say I buy this. Nuno's mentality has been world class from day 1 and it has absolutely spilled over onto the players.

Thank God Jack Robinson didn't score today, that would have lead to a Cyber meltdown.

Historical records against teams mean nothing. I highly doubt Neves, Jota, Bonatini, Miranda, Cavaleiro etc woke this morning thinking "probably going to lose today as Wolves have a poor record against QPR, regardless of personnel"

We lost because we didn't play overly well (haven't seen the game so going off reports) we didn't lose because of a curse or hoodoo. We will lose games this season, I think everybody knows this, but it won't be down to hoodoos or bogey clubs

I wouldn't mind so much if we hadn't had a very decent record at Loftus Road going into this one :icon_lol: 1 fucking loss in 14. In fact you'd struggle to find many away grounds where we have a better record than that.

The whole thing is crazy and I'll have no further part in it.

Back